Saturday, July 3, 2010

Time, Not Space

In his "Judging Distances" Henry Reed observed that "maps are of time, not space." I was returning from produce shopping at the Alemany Farmers' Market this morning and realized that yes, farmers' markets are very much about time, too, since a couple of vendors had brought in their first heirloom tomatoes of the season and were mobbed.

And restaurants, too. Todd, who was probably the best chef the Anchor ever had, has returned to San Francisco for a visit and is cooking four meals a week, this week and next. Last night i had the cioppino, which is always excellent (when they have it), but with Todd behind it, it's heavenly.

And then i realized that there's a problem with my atheism: if i were a believer and behaved myself, i could eat Todd's cioppino every day in heaven for all eternity.

Oh, but wait. As my friend CK pointed out, if i were a believer the greater likelihood would be that i'd spend all eternity chained in the exhaust vent of Todd's kitchen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a delicious dilemma you face; do you change your beliefs today for the mere possibility of Todd's cioppino forever and ever?? I have a feeling I would; I'm easy that way.

Matte Gray said...

Clearly you have never tasted Todd's cioppino. It would make a believer of anyone. My great fear is that he will start a new, authoritarian religion using his cioppio as the sacrament.